Sunday 13 July 2014

Day 22 - fossicking & bananas In pyjamas

Today I was looking forward to a sleep in but I couldn't do that as Mum woke me up early to get ready for the fossicking tour. So I got ready in the freezing cold and we made our down to reception with a few other MySwagers to get our sives, buckets, collecting tin and water. 

We followed our guide Cory to the little place that is kinda hidden because it's off the highway. Cory showed us what to do and we set to work. There were already some holes so I got the pick axe and started getting some dirt. Mum and I started off with dry seives but then Dad was complaining he couldn't see with the sun so Mum did the wet seives and Dad and I did dry but then I wanted a go at the wet and in my first lot I found 3 garnets! So for the rest of the day I did the wet seive. I had a lot of fun using the pick axe and the seives and getting dirty of course. I was stained red by the end of the day. 


We had been there for about 3-4 hours before we decided to head back. I counted all the garnets we found and we found 23 of them. That's not including the ones we found at Ruby Gap. When we finally got back to Gem Tree Dad put all the fossicking tools away while Mum and I went in to see Cory and get our garnets looked at. We ended up having 1:4carats, 3:3.24carats and quite a few 3carats. The rest were put in a bag for 'show and tell'. 

When we got back to the tent I ate some lunch and then got into Mums bed and read for about an hour before I fell asleep for at least 2 hours and then woke up amd read again. When I finally got out of bed I didn't feel too good. I had a headache and was ready to go home. But I couldn't. I've done pretty good though, that's the first time in 3 weeks I said it. Mum got me panadol and got me drink a bottle of water before we headed off to Kate's Camp Kitchen.

 We had the whole MySwag group there and we hung up 2 of the MySwag flags. For dinner we were having a campoven roast. Everyone got a tour of Kate's kitchen and how it was made and how they cater for everyone. Then we got our food and enjoyed an amazing roast! When everyone at finished dinner Kate came ans explained what the movie we were about to watch was about. It's about her family and the history of the N.T and her whole family. We then watched a short movie that her kids made for school. It was really interesting. When everyone started to head off us and the Jacko's and a few other people stayed to finish our drinks. But then B1 and B2 came out (bananas in pyjamas). It was so funny! Indi, Rah and I were standing at the hearing warming up a bit when one the guys that works there came and started talking to us. He was really nice and funny and we kept laughing at his hiccups because he had, had them all day. He had only been at Gem Tree for 2 days. Then B1 and B2 came over so us 3 girls had a photo with them then B1 said that they were off to get some rum. He came back with his can and took off the banana head. It was Cory and B2 was Aaron, Kate's husband. So Cory, this other guy, us 3 girls and the parents were all sitting/standing around the fire and heater talking. I recon we could have talked all night if the parents didn't say we had to go.


As we were walking off we said bye to the 2 boys and Kate and than drove back to the camp where the others had got a fire going. We stayed around the fire for a bit and then Catie, John's wife said that John had brought this book on how to play the digeredoo and by the end of the trip he would be able to play it. Well seeing as this was the end of the actuall MySwag trip we made him try to play it. He had only read 2 pages and knew only how to hold it. It was quite funny. After that I went off to read my book in Mums bed again. 

Tomorrow we say goodbye to everyone and we are heading for Coober Pedy. Jacko and family and Linda and Tayla are also travelling with us home as we live pretty close by.

Today's blog was done by Chloe 


1 comment: